HOW TO FIND NAGLE DAM AND GAME RESERVE
We are about 25km off the N3 Toll Road between Durban Pietermaritzburg - the nearest offramp is Mpumalanga / Hammersdale / Inchanga offramp.
Nagle Dam and Game Reserve is situated between GPS coordinates:Lot 183 Cato Ridge Rural, Cato Ridge.3681
29 º 35’ 40. 24″ South 30º 37’ 40. 44″ East.
DIRECTIONS TO NAGLE DAM AND GAME RESERVE
From Pietermaritzburg City Hall:
- Head towards Durban along Commercial Rd. Turn left into Longmarket St. Travel all the way to the T-junction with East St. Turn right into East St, then left into Manning Ave
- Follow Manning Ave over the N3, cross Royston Rd at the top of the hill (traffic light), cross Ohrtmann Rd at bottom of hill (traffic light), pass McDonald Steel on the left, over river and railway, up to traffic light next to service station (Shell garage) on right, turn left at traffic lights towards Table Mountain
- Follow this road up the hill and out of city, follow the road twists until you get to Beacon Hill Estate on the left, and take the next right turn - Table Mountain
- Follow this road all the way to Nagle Dam. It is tarred for about 19km passing through the village, be careful of goats and cattle, then a good dirt road the rest of the way, 7km to dam. There is one steep hill down to the dam. The main entrance to the regatta area is via a road to the left through the Msinsi boom-gate. You will see this as you enter the built up area of the dam.
- Take the N3 north past the Marianhill toll plaza, until you reach the Hammarsdale/Inchanga off-ramp after descending Key Ridge (look for the big mast on top)
- At this offramp, turn right back over N3, then turn left and proceed towards Inchanga. You will follow this road (Comrades route) all the way to Nagle Dam
- Turn off opposite a service station on the left (Caltex garage). Turn right and proceed along a wide tarred road, Thor Chemicals on right and the big black Ferroalloy’s smelter away on the left. After about 2- 3km along this straight road, you will pass the Cato Ridge airfield. You will see the Cato Ridge abattoir on the right up ahead. Take the next turn to the left where you see a 15km Nagle Dam road sign. Follow this road all the way to the dam passing through the village; be careful of goats and cattle. It is tar all the way.
- A very winding roadway down into the Valley of a Thousand Hills crosses the Umsunduzi River one-way bridge and then winds its way through the hills to the dam. The road follows the river and soon starts climbing up, the dam wall is visible on your right, keep going through the game-reserve gate up to the top of the hill and around the corner. Here the road straightens out and you will see the main entrance road turning to the right, down the hill towards the boom-gate and office.