Msinsi Holdings SOC Limited, trading as Msinsi Resorts and Game Reserves, was established on 13 July 1992; and underwent a name change from Shongweni Resources Reserve (Proprietary) Limited to Msinsi Holdings (Proprietary) Limited on 25 March 1994.
The company converted from a Proprietary (PTY) Limited to a State-Owned Company (SOC) Limited with effect from 23 June 2014.
MSINSI’S BROAD FUNCTIONS
Water Resource Management
Water resource management is central to achieving economic growth, sustainable development and poverty reduction.
The primary function of Msinsi is to manage the water resources of Umgeni Water owned dams and the dams that Umgeni Water manages on behalf of the Department of Water and Sanitation. Effective management of the water resource contributes significantly to the value chain of water service delivery. Therefore, Msinsi, through its activities, implements the dictates of the National Water Act; Act 36 of 1998 i.e. that national water resources are protected, used, developed, conserved, managed and controlled in an efficient and sustainable manner. These dictates are consolidated into three strategic objectives of the National Water Resource Strategy 2 (NWRS2) viz.:
- Water supports development and reduction of poverty and inequality.
- Water contributes to the economy and job creation.
- Water is protected, used, developed, conserved, managed and controlled in an equitable and sustainable manner.
Msinsi’s functions are categorised into three broad areas, namely:
- Protect the aquatic and associated ecosystems and their biological diversity.
- Reduce and prevent pollution and degradation of the water resources.
- Allow and control access to the dams for recreational purposes, and apply reasonable charges for the use of entry and onto the water surface.
These functions are performed in pursuit of the objectives of the NWRS2.
Tel: (031) 765 7724
Fax: (031) 765 7704
Private Bag X1020, Hillcrest, 3650